Home > News > World
Wednesday August 27, 2014 MYT 12:05:08 AM
Wednesday August 27, 2014 MYT 12:06:12 AM
ABUJA (Reuters) - Nigeria's health minister said on Tuesday authorities had "thus far contained" the Ebola outbreak that started last month, with only one out of 13 confirmed cases still being treated in isolation in the commercial capital Lagos.
Onyebuchi Chukwu said of the other cases that five had died and the other seven had been discharged. The remaining one was the spouse of one of the doctors who treated Patrick Sawyer, the Liberian who brought the virus to Africa's most populous nation.
"She is stable but still on treatment in an isolation ward in Lagos," he said, adding that all cases were linked to Sawyer and had been quarantined.
"This is an indication that, thus far, Nigeria has contained the disease outbreak."
(Reporting by Camillus Eboh; Writing by Tim Cocks; Editing by Alison Williams)
Nigeria checking South African national as suspected Ebola case
Ebola death toll rises to at least 2,296 - WHO
Worst Ebola outbreak on record tests global response
U.S. pledges 3,000 troops to fight Ebola; experts say more needed
As Ebola grows out of control, WHO pleads for more health workers
Exclusive - South Korea's Park says door open for talks with North
Hong Kong media magnate Jimmy Lai in visit to anti-graft agency
Exclusive - U.S. considering options if oil export ban challenged: sources
Pakistan's PM threatens to clear protesters camped in capital
Chinese envoy says North Korea's Kim Jong Un may visit Beijing - Yonhap
Xi sees factory China and back office India as global engine
New 'Lord Of The Rings' tour marks its 60th anniversary
Malaysia down Laos 4-0 to stay alive in Incheon
Microsoft to spotlight new Windows software September 30
Copyright © 1995-2014 Star Publications (M) Bhd (Co No 10894-D)