Nigerian military says most of abducted schoolgirls freed


ABUJA (Reuters) - Nigeria's military said on Wednesday its forces had freed most of the schoolgirls abducted by Islamist Boko Haram militants, and were continuing the search for eight students still missing.

"With this development, the Principal of the school has confirmed that only 8 of the students are still missing," armed forces spokesman Major General Chris Olukolade said in a statement sent to media. He did not specify exactly how many of the girls had been rescued, but said one of the "terrorists" involved in the abduction had been captured.

The Star Festive Promo: Get 35% OFF Digital Access

Monthly Plan

RM 13.90/month

Best Value

Annual Plan

RM 12.33/month

RM 8.02/month

Billed as RM 96.20 for the 1st year, RM 148 thereafter.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In World

Pope says peace in Ukraine 'cannot be postponed'
Trump curious why Iran has not 'capitulated' amid US military buildup, says Witkoff
Moscow airports restrict flights amid drone attack
France to summon US ambassador over comments on far-right activist's death
Supreme Court wades into US-Cuba business disputes, with billions at stake
Afghanistan's ruling Taliban says Pakistan strikes kill, injure dozens
India delays U.S. trade talks after Supreme Court rejects Trump tariffs, source says
Exclusive-Iran and US views on sanctions relief differ, Iranian official tells Reuters
Police officer killed, 24 people wounded in bomb explosions in Ukraine's Lviv
Russia hits Ukraine energy infrastructure with major missile, drone strikes, Kyiv says

Others Also Read