Home > News > Regional
Sunday February 23, 2014 MYT 12:00:00 AM
Sunday February 23, 2014 MYT 7:56:50 AM
The Transport Ministry said it takes a “serious view” of the three recent oil spills in Singapore waters and will continue to work with local and international organisations to prevent a recurrence.
Such work will include submitting marine safety investigation reports to the International Maritime Organisation, sharing investigation findings with the shipping industry and working closely with environmental groups.
Those who are guilty of causing the oil spills due to “a culpable act or omission” will be charged under the Prevention of Pollution of the Sea Act.
Speaking in Parliament yesterday, Parliamentary Secretary for Transport Muhammad Faishal Ibrahim also pointed out that “swift action” had been taken by the authorities and stakeholders in cleaning up the oil spills.
He also assured Nominated Member of Parliament (NMP) Faizah Jamal that environmental concerns will be taken into account.
Faizah had asked about the impact of the oil spills on the marine coastal environment.
The spills occurred on Jan 29, 30 and Feb 10, resulting in a total of 760 tonnes of oil being dumped into the sea.
Faishal also told the House of the precautionary measures undertaken by the Maritime and Port Authority of Singapore.
These include conducting briefings on the importance of navigational safety for the shipping community and the development of a safe passage guide for all mariners navigating the straits of Malacca and Singapore. — The Straits Times / Asia News Network
Tags / Keywords:
New Saudi king in major government shake-up
Japan says hostage negotiations ‘deadlocked’
Police gunfire killed hostage
Cops to start wearing body cameras
Dynamic and Stylish BMW X1
Healthy living in the heart of Ampang
Have app, will travel
Be disciplined, recruits told
South Korea bolster defence for Asian Cup final against Australia
Copyright © 1995-2015 Star Publications (M) Bhd (Co No 10894-D)