Home > News > Nation
Sunday August 3, 2014 MYT 12:00:00 AM
Sunday August 3, 2014 MYT 7:27:41 AM
by ruben sario
KOTA KINABALU: Film director and actor Afdlin Shauki (pic) will have a hand in the movie project about the Sandakan Death March.
He would be joining Hollywood director Roger Christian in the movie, which is about a dark point in Sabah during World War II.
Hundreds of Australian and British prisoners were forced by the Japanese army to trek 140km from Sandakan to Ranau at the foothills of Mount Kinabalu.
Many died along the way or were subsequently killed.
The movie is being undertaken by the National Film Development Corporation (Finas).
Finas chairman Datuk Affendi Hamdan said the project received a RM1mil launching grant from the Goverment and another RM2mil from the corporation itself.
“The balance will be sourced from local funding,” he added.
Hugh Jackman, who is popular as Wolverine in the X Men franchise, was offered a role in the movie, which is to be completed within a year.
The target is to have a premiere at the Cannes Film Festival in 2016.
Christian spent about three months in Sabah earlier this year, researching for the movie and interviewing the locals.
Tags / Keywords:
Death march, afdlin shauki
Lahad Datu: Sabah Immigration director is chosen as Esscom chief
MH370 movie director apologizes for love-triangle plot
Sabah Customs director's house burgled
Director bent on MH370 movie project
Nigerian movie director gets jail and caning for possessing drugs
Thalgo celebrates marine intelligence
Reconnecting with The Shawshank Redemption
Gecko-feet gloves to climb glass walls
Take a break from taking a break, seniors told
Shah Rukh Khan is fine with daughter being an actress
Khoon Hooi’s Spring/Summer 2015 collection is chic, fresh and classy
Rights of other races should not be questioned, Wanita Umno tells party members
Shakhtar lose to Bilbao having already qualified
Egypt’s Sphinx open to visitors again
Copyright © 1995-2014 Star Publications (M) Bhd (Co No 10894-D)