Home > News > Nation
Saturday July 5, 2014 MYT 12:00:00 AM
Saturday July 5, 2014 MYT 10:24:50 AM
PETALING JAYA: New Zealand Foreign Minister Murray McCully has been urged to apologise to Malaysia for suggesting it was entirely to blame for immunity granted to a junior military officer facing charges of burglary and sexual assault in the country.
The New Zealand Herald said in its editorial that although McCully had apologised to the country’s Prime Minister John Key, he also owed another to Malaysia.
“When Malaysia’s Foreign Minister responded that New Zealand had been a party to the decision, McCully released an exchange of letters that seemed to give the lie to the claim.
“A more cautious minister would have suspected there was more to it when his counterpart had such a different understanding of events.
“Mr McCully ought to have checked with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade before New Zealand said anything more,” added the editorial.
Foreign Minister Datuk Seri Anifah Aman announced on Wednesday that Malaysia would send Warrant Officer 2 Muhammad Rizalman Ismail to Wellington.
It has also now been established that WO2 Rizalman left New Zealand at the suggestion of the country’s foreign ministry officials.
The decision was reached following informal discussions between Malaysian and New Zealand officials.
In another development in the case, McCully declined Foreign Ministry chief executive John Allen’s offer to resign over the fiasco but said that he was angry that his officials’ mistakes had led to public embarrassment for him and Key.
Meanwhile, the newspaper’s political editor Audrey Young lauded Malaysia’s decision to send WO2 Rizalman back to Wellington, describing it in her column as the right move.
She said Malaysia’s reputation was dented when it was wrongly believed that it had whisked WO2 Rizalman out of New Zealand and thumbed its nose at New Zealand’s requests to revoke his diplomatic immunity.
“That was down to a bungle by a mid-grade official in the protocol division of the New Zealand ministry, who led the Malaysians to believe the New Zealand Government would not object to the course of action.
“Now, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade’s reputation is dented,” she wrote, adding that Malaysia’s decision showed integrity.
Do not prejudge WO2 Rizalman, says Hisham
Tags / Keywords:
Government, rizalman, new zealand
Sultan Azlan Shah Cup a massive boost for Kiwis
Wonderful ‘wee’ experience: Hundertwasser toilets of Kawakawa, New Zealand
Sultan Azlan Shah Cup going the Oceania way
Kiwis bag second win in Sultan Azlan Shah Cup
Bad start cost Malaysia dear in Azlan Shah Cup opener
Liow: MCA supports incentives for companies offering women flexi work hours
Semenyih crash: Police investigating pilot's financial status
Ministry has received 10,822 GST-related complaints
Jakim wants male and female audiences segregated during concerts
Family of NS boy killed in car crash receives insurance payout
Penang pays tribute to Karpal Singh
Second-string Bayern edge closer to Bundesliga title
The Force is with Twitter
Mangrove forest setting in a landmark development
Copyright © 1995-2015 Star Publications (M) Bhd (Co No 10894-D)