Home > News > Nation
Wednesday May 14, 2014 MYT 12:00:00 AM
Wednesday May 14, 2014 MYT 6:48:45 AM
by stephanie lee.
Life lost: Firemen inspecting the scene where Kabo died in the fire.
KOTA KINABALU: A five-year-old girl locked inside a modified container was burnt to death in a fire which also damaged six other similar structures used as workers’ quarters.
Kabo Boreng was left inside the 6m container by her father Bernados Boro, 29, before he went to work at a nearby chicken farm in Bongawan, 84km south of the state capital.
It is learnt that Bernados and the other workers tried in vain to kick open the door when they saw smoke from the container at about 8.30am yesterday.
Kabo is believed to have accidentally locked herself inside the container. She was alone as her mother was out of town.
Relatives of the family who were at the scene said Bernados sometimes had to lock the door when he went to work or when his wife was not around as he was afraid that Kabo would roam around.
He was just being cautious and did not want his daughter to go missing, said a relative.
But a distraught Bernados told firemen that this time Kabo locked herself in.
Papar Fire station chief Dunstan Peter said: “We asked about the door, and he (Bernados) told us it was his daughter who locked it. However we will investigate further once he is in a better state of mind.”
He said the seven containers, which were mainly wood with steel frames, were already 90% burnt when firemen arrived at 8.59am.
“We received the call at 8.34am and could only prevent the fire from spreading further when we arrived,” Peter said.
The fire was brought under control at about 9.20am.
Kabo’s body has been brought to the Papar district hospital for post-mortem.
Tags / Keywords:
Family Community, fire, girl, burnt
Blaze in Likas leaves 150 people homeless
Smouldering cig causes deadly fire
Lorry driver killed in petrol bomb attack
Fewer distress calls
Home alone boy dies in fire at grandma’s
Rape victim gets ‘sweet dreams’ text
The dark side of Vader begonia
Govt will not interfere with MAS
Pahang to help those affected by illegal farms op
No problem hanging out with George Clooney
Passion and food go hand in hand
Idyllic isle of dreams
Photo Kit: Getting batty over a Benbo
Star People's Food Award: Cast your vote now for your favourite nasi kandar eatery
Copyright © 1995-2015 Star Publications (M) Bhd (Co No 10894-D)