Home > News > Nation
Friday January 31, 2014 MYT 4:26:00 PM
Friday January 31, 2014 MYT 4:31:45 PM
by desiree tresa gasper
JOHOR BARU: A 36-year-old factory dispatch worker died after fireworks exploded while he was lighting them to usher in the Chinese New Year.
Sze Joon Choon lit the fireworks at the stroke of midnight on Jan 31 at his home in Permas here when tragedy struck.
Family members and friends who were also with him watched in horror as the fireworks exploded in his face.
Sze was then rushed to the Sultanah Aminah Hospital where he was later pronounced dead at 7.30am.
Johor Baru South OCPD Asst Comm Sulaiman Salleh said that Sze had died due to severe injuries to his face.
"I warn those celebrating the season to refrain from lighting up fireworks.
"There is no need to take risk our safety especially during a joyous occasion," he said.
ACP Sulaiman added that firecrackers were illegal and the police would take action on anyone found to be in posession of them.
Tags / Keywords:
accident, death, fireworks, Chinese New Year, Johor Baru
Sri Lankan president's brother dies after axe attack
Kemaman police chief in critical but stable condition after surgery
Taiwanese tourist crushed to death in bus mishap near Petaling Jaya hotel
Heavily pregnant woman and unborn baby die in hit-and-run
The dying of a great light
MIC's interim Central Working Committee to intervene in MIC-ROS suit
PAS tells allies to back off from hudud and to fight common enemy
Trio deny rape and robbery charges Three face jail and whipping over alleged offences against Indonesian woman
Nestlé rewards consumers with biggest promotion ever
The great South Australian adventure
Living away from Malaysia can trigger a lot of different longings
Lax enforcement makes matters worse in Chemor
Amazon in talks to buy online luxury retailer Net-a-Porter: Forbes
Agoda.com’s fresh destinations for 2015
Copyright © 1995-2015 Star Publications (M) Bhd (Co No 10894-D)