Bangladesh heist perpetrators may never be identified: ex US official


Commuters pass by the front of the Bangladesh central bank building in Dhaka March 8, 2016. REUTERS/Ashikur Rahman/File Photo

SINGAPORE: A former top US intelligence official on cybersecurity has warned that government investigators may never be able to ascertain who carried out a cyberheist that led to the theft of US$81mil (RM330.29mil) from Bangladesh’s central bank in February. 

Sean Kanuck, who was the most senior official in charge of cybersecurity at the Office of the Director of National Intelligence for five years until mid-May, told Reuters that there had been no official determination on who committed the cyber heist, one of the biggest ever. 

The Star Festive Promo: Get 35% OFF Digital Access

Monthly Plan

RM 13.90/month

Best Value

Annual Plan

RM 12.33/month

RM 8.02/month

Billed as RM 96.20 for the 1st year, RM 148 thereafter.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Tech News

These students in the US tricked teachers with phishing emails – for a good cause
Apple pushes emergency iPhone update after ‘extremely sophisticated’ spyware attack. Experts advise installing it immediately
OpenAI expects compute spend of around $600 billion through 2030, source says
Microsoft Gaming head Phil Spencer retires, insider Asha Sharma takes over
SEC probe involving AppLovin still active, Bloomberg News reports
OpenAI developing AI devices including smart speaker, The Information reports
US judge upholds $243 million verdict against Tesla over fatal Autopilot crash
Analysis-New cybersecurity rules for US defense industry create barrier for some small suppliers
Tesla unveils cheaper Cybertruck variant, cuts Cyberbeast price to drive demand
Los Angeles sues Roblox over child exploitation claim

Others Also Read