Trials for the Malaysian Invasion Mixed Martial Arts Fighting Championships will be held in the Klang Valley as well as Kelantan, Penang, Johor, Sarawak and Sabah.
KUALA LUMPUR: The second edition of the Malaysian Invasion Mixed Martial Arts Fighting Championships (MIMMAFC) will be a bigger affair as it will be held outside of the Klang Valley for the first time.
Last year, over 300 exponents signed up for the championships. The preliminary rounds were held at the Paradigm Mall in Petaling Jaya while Stadium Negara in Kuala Lumpur staged the Finals.
But this season, Kelantan, Penang, Johor, Sarawak and Sabah will also play hosts. The selection trials will begin on March 6.
Organiser Jason Lo, the Tune Talk chief executive officer, said the move to include the major cities as hosts would increase the number of participants this season.
“Mixed martial arts is the fastest growing sport in the country and the MIMMAFC has proven to be an excellent stepping stone for fighters to reach a higher level,” said Jason at the launch of the new season on Monday.
Also present at the launch were Datuk M. Saravanan, the Deputy Youth and Sports Minister, and Malaysian Mixed Martial Arts Association president Jaluddin Abu Hassan.
Seven weight classes will be contested this time from flyweight to heavyweight. The twist for this season is the winner of each class will face the title holder to determine the champion.