Exclusive - Russian private security firm says it had armed men in east Libya


FILE PHOTO: General Khalifa Haftar, commander in the Libyan National Army (LNA), leaves after a meeting with Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov in Moscow, Russia, November 29, 2016. REUTERS/Maxim Shemetov/File Photo

MOSCOW (Reuters) - A force of several dozen armed private security contractors from Russia operated until last month in a part of Libya that is under the control of regional leader Khalifa Haftar, the head of the firm that hired the contractors told Reuters.

It is the clearest signal to date that Moscow is prepared to back up its public diplomatic support for Haftar -- even at the risk of alarming Western governments already irked at Russia's intervention in Syria to prop up President Bashar al-Assad.

The Star Festive Promo: Get 35% OFF Digital Access

Monthly Plan

RM 13.90/month

Best Value

Annual Plan

RM 12.33/month

RM 8.02/month

Billed as RM 96.20 for the 1st year, RM 148 thereafter.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In World

France allows culling of around 200 wolves to protect livestock
Germany's Merz vows to keep out far-right as he warns of a changed world
Spain's top court rejects father's bid to halt daughter's euthanasia
Germany's Merz says his conservatives will not partner with far-right AfD
Norway moves some of its 60 soldiers in Middle East due to security situation
Russia says no peace dialogue ongoing with Japan over territorial dispute
Over 5,000 women, girls killed in Ukraine since 2022, says UN
Europe's main military powers to develop low-cost air-defence systems
Trump ally ties up with Russia's Novatek on natural gas in Alaska, NYT reports
Police search royal mansion as investigation into king's brother goes on

Others Also Read