Libya's oil company empties storage tanks in Ras Lanuf after Islamic State attacks


Fire rises from an oil tank in the port of Es Sider, in Ras Lanuf, Libya, January 6, 2016. REUTERS/Stringer

BENGHAZI (Reuters) - Libya's National Oil Corporation has emptied oil storage tanks at the Ras Lanuf terminal as a precaution after Islamic State militants attacked the country's two biggest oil ports last week, an official from the company said on Monday.

Islamic State attacked the major Libyan oil terminals of Es Sider and Ras Lanuf, which lie between the town of Sirte, which is controlled by Islamic State, and the eastern city of Benghazi.

Get 20% OFF The Star Digital Access

Monthly Plan

RM 13.90/month

RM 11.12/month

Billed as RM 11.12 for the 1st month, RM 13.90 thereafter.

Best Value

Annual Plan

RM 12.33/month

RM 9.87/month

Billed as RM 118.40 for the 1st year, RM 148 thereafter.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In World

Turkish riot police enter opposition headquarters to evict ousted leadership
Russia says it hit Ukraine with hypersonic and ballistic missiles, state news agencies report
Cyprus votes for new parliament with corruption and living costs in focus
At least one dead in Philippine building collapse, 21 people missing
At least 24 killed in Pakistan train blast claimed by separatist militants
Axios says proposed US-Iran deal involves opening strait during 60-day ceasefire extension
'Fjord' by Romania's Cristian Mungiu wins Cannes' top prize
Gunman dies in shootout outside White House
Russia hits Ukraine with Oreshnik missile in one of war's biggest attacks on Kyiv
Flash: Secret Service takes down gunman after he fired multiple gunshots near White House: media

Others Also Read