Petronas refutes blog’s allegation to axe 5,000 workers



KUALA LUMPUR: Petroliam Nasional Bhd has refuted a blog that the national oil company plans to terminate 5,000 employees next year.

It said on Saturday the group’s business review exercise conducted last year had affected 2,300 jobs as previously announced. 

“There is currently no plan to undertake another exercise of that scale,” as it refuted blogger Syed Akbar Ali on his “OutSyed the Box” site on Friday that Petronas planned to terminate 5,000 workers.

Syed Akbar had alleged the plan was another round of “staff reduction” exercise group-wide. 

Petronas said it was committed to building a high-performing work culture.

It pointed out manpower optimisation and functional streamlining “are an on-going process requiring greater capability and accountability as well as more stringent performance evaluation among its employees”.

 

Get 20% OFF The Star Digital Access

Monthly Plan

RM 13.90/month

RM 11.12/month

Billed as RM 11.12 for the 1st month, RM 13.90 thereafter.

Best Value

Annual Plan

RM 12.33/month

RM 9.87/month

Billed as RM 118.40 for the 1st year, RM 148 thereafter.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Business News

Suzhou builds photonics powerhouse
Building momentum selectively
Zero tolerance for corruption
Lotte Chemical Titan sale sparks hope but challenges remain
MY Value Up must measure up
A new reality for crypto
Ekovest’s rights issue tests investors’ faith
Mr. Robot comes to town
Big Tech’s debt drives credit risk
An appetite for fresh snacks

Others Also Read