China comes down on Tencent, Youku Tudou for pornography


CLAMPDOWN ON PORN: The Chinese government said Japanese animation series like Blood-C, Terror in Resonance and Highschool of the Dead have scenes of violence, pornography, terrorism and crimes against public morality.

BEIJING: China will punish Internet companies including Tencent Holdings Ltd, Youku Tudou Inc and Baidu Inc's iQiyi for hosting videos suspected of containing violence and pornography, which it said causes juvenile delinquency.

The offending material is primarily Japanese animation on the video streaming websites of Tencent, Youku Tudou, iQiyi, Sohu.com Inc and Leshi Internet Information & Technology Corp Beijing (LeTV), the Ministry of Culture said on its website.

The ministry's animation "blacklisting" is part of a broader campaign to control Internet content. That includes eradicating material deemed damaging to society and the ruling Communist Party, which cyber security experts say oversees the world's most sophisticated Internet censorship.

The titles in question - Blood-C, Terror in Resonance and Highschool of the Dead - include scenes of violence, pornography, terrorism and crimes against public morality, the ministry said.

Blood-C depicts girls fighting monsters, heavy blood-letting, the severing of limbs and beheading, while Highschool of the Dead features borderline-pornographic imagery, the ministry said.

The ministry said it would despatch agencies to carry out punishment according to the law, even though the companies are merely suspected of hosting pornographic content. It did not detail what the punishment would be.

Tencent, Youku Tudou, iQiyi and LeTV were not available for immediate comment. Sohu declined to provide immediate comment.

On April 1, China's online video sites will be subject to new regulations tightening control of foreign content. Websites which have not sought approval for their foreign programmes by then will be prohibited from broadcasting the media.

While the latest regulations apply to domestic companies, experts say China's attempts to control and censor the Internet has evolved into attacks on overseas websites deemed a threat by the government.

An ongoing cyber attack on US coding site GitHub, which began last week from China, is attempting to paralyse the site by using distributed denial of service attacks, or DDoS, online security researchers said.

The attacks appear to target two GitHub pages that link to copies of websites banned in China - a Mandarin-language site from the New York Times Co and Greatfire.org, which helps Chinese users circumvent government censorship, the researchers said. — Reuters

The Star Festive Promo: Get 35% OFF Digital Access

Monthly Plan

RM 13.90/month

Best Value

Annual Plan

RM 12.33/month

RM 8.02/month

Billed as RM 96.20 for the 1st year, RM 148 thereafter.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Tech News

Germany's ruling party backs social media curbs for children
Turkey reviews six online platforms for children's data-processing practices
Dinner is being recorded, whether you know it or not
Mark Zuckerberg testifies in LA trial over claims social media makes kids addicted
These students in the US tricked teachers with phishing emails – for a good cause
Apple pushes emergency iPhone update after ‘extremely sophisticated’ spyware attack. Experts advise installing it immediately
OpenAI expects compute spend of around $600 billion through 2030, source says
Microsoft Gaming head Phil Spencer retires, insider Asha Sharma takes over
SEC probe involving AppLovin still active, Bloomberg News reports
OpenAI developing AI devices including smart speaker, The Information reports

Others Also Read