Gunmen abduct eight more girls in Nigeria; U.S. pledges help in search


A woman holds a sign during a protest demanding the release of abducted secondary school girls from the remote village of Chibok, in Lagos May 5, 2014. REUTERS/Akintunde Akinleye

MAIDUGURI Nigeria (Reuters) - Suspected Boko Haram gunmen kidnapped eight girls from a village near one of the Islamists' strongholds in northeastern Nigeria overnight, while the United States made plans on Tuesday to help search for more than 200 schoolgirls seized by the militant group last month.

"We're going to do everything we can to provide assistance to them," U.S. President Barack Obama told NBC News in an interview on Tuesday. "In the short term our goal is obviously to help the international community, and the Nigerian government, as a team to do everything we can to recover these young ladies."

Get 20% OFF The Star Digital Access

Monthly Plan

RM 13.90/month

RM 11.12/month

Billed as RM 11.12 for the 1st month, RM 13.90 thereafter.

Best Value

Annual Plan

RM 12.33/month

RM 9.87/month

Billed as RM 118.40 for the 1st year, RM 148 thereafter.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In World

Bolivia lawmakers likely force economy minister's removal in setback for President Paz
Australian mushroom murderer Erin Patterson begins appeal against sentence
Japan's farmers go nocturnal as deadly heat intensifies
North Korea condemns US-South Korea drills despite Trump order to scale back
Climate change is driving record heat in Europe's seas, scientists say
U.S. stocks close lower as tech shares sink
Iran says its ambassador met four nationals detained in Kuwait
1st LD: Dozens killed in gold mine collapse on Cameroon-CAR border
Urgent: Dozens feared dead in gold mine collapse on Cameroon-CAR border
Interview: China's growing radio astronomy capacity helps push frontiers of cosmic exploration, Polish astronomer says

Others Also Read