Home > News > Nation
Sunday March 23, 2014 MYT 12:00:00 AM
Sunday March 23, 2014 MYT 3:34:27 PM
SEPANG: The search for MH370 continues full-steam ahead despite a tropical cyclone in the Indian Ocean that threatens to hamper the progress of ships looking for possible debris from the missing Malaysia Airlines Boeing 777-200.
Datuk Seri Hishammuddin Hussein said some of the ships sailing to the location where two objects were spotted by satellites 2,500km south-west of Perth, Australia, would have to brave severe weather conditions and sail through the Category One Cyclone Gillian.
“Despite the difficulties, no country has said no to our requests for help,” said the acting Transport Minister in praising the efforts of the multinational search teams which Malaysia was coordinating.
According to the Australian Bureau of Meteorology’s website, tropical cyclones are ranked from Category One (weakest) to Category Five (strongest). A Category One tropical cyclone brings winds of 90-125kph.
Department of Civil Aviation director-general Datuk Azharuddin Abdul Rahman said Cyclone Gillian, which had reportedly made landfall at Christmas Island, was in the path of some of the ships heading to the waters where the possible debris had been spotted by satellites.
The depth of the ocean where the search for possible debris is being done is between 150m and 7,000m.
“It is not in the search and rescue area yet, but it may approach the area,” said Azharuddin, adding that the cyclone could hamper the search and rescue efforts.
Two merchant ships and five aircraft are already in the area while two Chinese Ilyushin IL-76 aircraft are due to arrive in Perth to help in the search in the southern corridor, which stretches from Indonesia to the southern part of the Indian Ocean.
The British navy ship HMS Echo equipped with state-of-the-art underwater sensors is also en route from the Persian Gulf to the search area.
Asked how much the 26-country search operations had cost so far, Hishammuddin said the issue had not crossed anyone’s minds.
“No one, not the Malaysian Government or our partners have talked about dollars and cents, not even a rough estimate,” he said.
In the northern corridor which covers northern Thailand to Kazakhstan, Hishammuddin said China, India, Pakistan, Myanmar, Laos, Kyrgyzstan and Kazakhstan had reported no sighting so far of MH370.
Meanwhile, the Australian Maritime Safety Authority, which is overseeing the search in the area, said a civilian aircraft reported seeing a number of small objects in the search area, including a wooden pallet.
However, a New Zealand military plane which was diverted to the location only found clumps of seaweed.
The agency said in a statement that searchers would keep trying to determine whether the objects were related to the missing plane.
Tags / Keywords:
Utilities, MH370, Malaysia Airlines, Missing flight
Missing MH370: Indian Air Force planes did 10-hour search, avoided cyclone
MH370 search: Tropical Cyclone Jack heading towards SAR area
Six RMN ships in Indian Ocean search
MH370 crash: Cyclone Gillian no longer raging in south Indian Ocean
MH370 search: Ocean Shield continues more focused sweeps
UPSR: Fewer top scorers compared to 2013
Hishammuddin: Malaysia will work with global community to combat IS threat
Online trolls should face full force of the law, says Puteri Umno
White Paper: IS threatens to reinvigorate local militant groups
Tile firm wins big at The Star awards
Woman alleges road bully assaulted her 71-year-old father
The trials and tribulations of Sarajevo are being replaced with good tidings
Oscar Isaac to play ‘X-Men’ villain Apocalypse
Mystery of Alexander the Great-era tomb holds Greeks in thrall
Copyright © 1995-2014 Star Publications (M) Bhd (Co No 10894-D)