Home > News > Nation
Saturday February 16, 2013 MYT 12:00:00 AM
Wednesday April 17, 2013 MYT 12:01:59 PM
by p.k. katharason, muguntan vanar, AND ruben sario
CENDERAWASIH (Lahad Datu): A Sulu Sultan has been called in to resolve a standoff between Malaysian security forces and a group of armed men holed up around a mosque in Kampung Tanduo in Felda Sahabat 17.
Sultan Jamalul Kiram III, a descendant of the Sulu Sultanate and a relative of the armed group leader, is expected to help find a peaceful solution to the standoff that entered its fourth day yesterday.
The leader of the armed group has been identified as Raja Muda Azzimudie Kiram, who had been negotiating with the Malaysian emissaries since Tuesday.
Azzimudie, who was dressed in white robes, was said to have been an assistant district officer of Kudat during the time of former chief minister Tun Datu Mustapha Harun between 1967 and 1976.
Azzimudie also met another relative of the Sulu Sultan, who was brought in from Kuala Lumpur.
He has yet to respond to requests by emissaries to “go home”.
The emissaries are hoping for the group to give up their demands for their ancestral land of the Sulu Sultanate. Sultan Jamalul is expected to come by boat from the southern Philippines.
Azzimudie, who spoke to the emissaries in English, showed them documents of the ancestral claim to Sabah.
He was staying in a house of a man in his 60s called “Pakcik Umrah” (Uncle Umrah).
Umrah and his wife is the only local family remaining in Kampung Tanduo, while the other families from 15 houses have moved in with relatives in Tanjung Labian, about 30km away.
The number of armed men has increased from 30 from Saturday to about 300 at time of writing.
The group comprises of Tausugs and Bajaus from Basilan, Jolo and Tawi Tawi, and had arrived in several boats since Saturday.
Most of them, aged from 20 to 60, were in dressed in black and grey military fatigues and armed with M16 rifles, M14 grenade launchers and Colt 45 pistols.
At least six camps have been set up there.
A villager, who returned to check on his house, said the foreigners did not enter the vacant houses and were living off whatever that was grown in the village.
Malaysian security forces have locked down all routes in the Felda Sahabat 17 oil palm plantation leading to Kampung Tanduo.
Only food and water were allowed to be brought in as negotiations were going on.
Patrol boats from the security agencies have blocked off entry from the southern Philippines, whose closest islands are Sipangkut and Sibutu, which can be reached by boat within 15 minutes.
Sabah Police Commissioner Datuk Hamza Taib said the police had contingency plans in the event the talks broke down.
“We are optimistic that the situation will be resolved very soon with the group returning to their home country,” he said yesterday.
Hamza said Malaysian authorities were also in contact with Philippines Foreign Affairs Secretary Albert F del Rosario.
Abu Sayyaf strikes fear among villagers
Philippines claim on Sabah a thorn in relations
Tags / Keywords:
Nation, News, Courts & Crime, Sulu Sultan
Malaysia can extradite so-called Sulu Sultan
MNLF’s Nur Misuari offers to help mediate with Sulu gunmen
Lahad Datu: Philippines NBI admits sending agents to Sulu Sultan's house
Sulu ‘sultan’: I gave Datuk Seri title
Sulu Sultan Kiram’s daughter: Aquino’s surrender order is ‘not acceptable’
No more petrol subsidy for high-income earners
Najib wants R&D efforts to match demand
Penang bans foreign cooks of hawker food
Bukit Beruntung landslide: Round-the-clock policing for evacuated homes, says Rohani
Soil still moving at landslide area
New units being snapped up at fair
Snapshot of Sabah scenery tops global photography contest
Blades of glory show how figure skaters can save joints
Activist dives in rubbish dumps to highlight food waste
Copyright © 1995-2014 Star Publications (M) Bhd (Co No 10894-D)