Business

Dealing with the staggering percentage of EPF members with insufficient retirement funds is critical.

Retiring into poverty

SOME time back, a white-collar foreign worker told me he wished he had worked in Malaysia earlier. The reason for his frank opinion is his retirement savings. He calculated that he would have had a tidy nest egg that would have been enough for him to retire with despite having worked in Malaysia for far less a time than most Malaysians would have.

The transporting landscape is quietly transforming

THE supposedly boring landscape of logistics has been quietly transforming. For the longest time, logistics was seen as something old – think lorry trucks, low wages, intensity of labour, and the loading and unloading of goods.

App-solutely easy

Need repairs, hire a lorry or doorstep grocery delivery? Well, there’s an app for that. Read about it in SMEBiz on Monday.

  • previous
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • next
  • Top Stories
  • Latest

Retirement funding formula

Whilst most people recognise the need to plan for their retirement, recent surveys showed that only about 20% think they have planned and adequately saved for their retirement, with the remaining 80% not ready to replace their earned income when retirement comes along.

19 April 2015 | 3:53PM |

Personal Finance

How a M’sian took China by storm

Known globally as the WeChat Company, Tencent is the largest Internet service provider in Asia, with a market capitalisation (as of April 16, 2015) of US$193bil. It delivers value-added Internet, mobile/ telecom services and online advertising, in order to fulfil the strategic goal of providing users with “one-stop online lifestyle services”.

18 April 2015 | 12:00AM |

Corporate News

UMW Oil & Gas Corps NAGA 7 Jack up drilling rig

UMW O&G still coping well

IT’S not the best of times for oil and gas exploration companies and the effects of the crunch in crude oil prices have been felt in the scope of work for the oil drillers.

18 April 2015 | 12:00AM |

Oil & Gas

Banking outlook remains challenging

THE banking industry will likely continue to experience a challenging environment and margin compression as banks compete to fulfil their LCR requirements after the ruling by Bank Negara.

18 April 2015 | 12:00AM |

Banking

An aerial view of Johor Baru and Singapore (at the back) links by the Johor Causeway.

Cost-sharing likely for HSR

THE development cost high-speed rail (HSR) project linking Kuala Lumpur and Singapore could possibly be divided between the two governments based on geographical location of the project’s infrastructure.

18 April 2015 | 12:00AM |

Construction

Hyundai Motor Co general manager of dealer enhancement, Asia and Pacific regional HQ Audrey Byun (left), director/head of regional HQ, Asia & Pacific, Sang-Min Park (2nd from left), deputy general manager, Asia & Pacific regional HQ Joonmo Ahn (right, foreground) and Lau.

Enter the Hyundai Veloster Turbo

KUALA LUMPUR: Hyundai-Sime Darby Motors Sdn Bhd (HSDM), the sole distributor and exclusive importer of Hyundai cars in Malaysia, has forecast sales of around 10,000 units for 2015.

18 April 2015 | 12:00AM |

Automotive

Since April 1, car prices have dropped between 1 and 2.

Investors and consumers maintain cautious stance

THE implementation of the goods and services tax (GST) on April 1 has left investors and consumers feeling cautious, with many choosing to thread carefully or maintain a wait-and-see approach.

18 April 2015 | 12:00AM |

GST

Nur Jazlan admits that the scrutiny on PAC has heightened in the last two weeks.

PAC should not wait for Auditor-General

UNTIL the end of last month, Datuk Nur Jazlan Mohamed, as chairman of the Public Accounts Committee (PAC), stayed away from any form of auditing works in relation to 1Malaysia Development Board (1MDB). The responsibility was solely with the Auditor-General, Tan Sri Ambrin Buang.

18 April 2015 | 12:00AM |

Analyst Reports

Afzal: ‘The option is there but it is not free. I have to pay for the shares and I have not figured out a way how to fund the purchase yet.’

TdC rewards CEO

Share option is for taking company out of the rut, giving it new lease of life and expanding its operations beyond fixed-line business

18 April 2015 | 12:00AM |

Telcos

Retirement funding formula

Whilst most people recognise the need to plan for their retirement, recent surveys showed that only about 20% think they have planned and adequately saved for their retirement, with the remaining 80% not ready to replace their earned income when retirement comes along.

19 April 2015 | 3:53PM |

Personal Finance

China says to accelerate reforms to support yuan in IMF currency basket

SHANGHAI: China central bank governor Zhou Xiaochuan said Beijing would accelerate reforms to the country's currency to push for the yuan's inclusion in the International Monetary Fund's currency basket, known as Special Drawing Rights (SDRs), the official Xinhua news agency reported on Saturday.

18 April 2015 | 9:17PM |

Banking

Wall St falls steeply on China, Greece worries

NEW YORK: The S&P 500 posted its biggest percentage loss since March 25 on Friday as investors shunned risk amid new trading regulations in China, renewed worries about Greece running out of money, and tepid U.S. corporate earnings.

18 April 2015 | 9:12PM |

Markets

Going up is the way forward

AS land prices get more expensive, warehouse owners plan their new buildings in tandem with the direction of the land cost: upwards.

18 April 2015 | 12:00AM |

Logistics

Afzal: ‘The option is there but it is not free. I have to pay for the shares and I have not figured out a way how to fund the purchase yet.’

TdC rewards CEO

Share option is for taking company out of the rut, giving it new lease of life and expanding its operations beyond fixed-line business

18 April 2015 | 12:00AM |

Telcos

Optimism on the Ringgit

MALAYSIA’S sale of US dollar-denominated bonds of US$1.5bil in two tenures of 10 and 30 years reflects an optimistic view of the ringgit.

18 April 2015 | 12:00AM |

Economy

Yeoh: ‘We are open to options as to how we will finance a particular project.’

PRG’s diversified strategy

THE name PRG Holdings Bhd may still not ring a bell for most but the face behind the company is a familiar one within the local property industry.

18 April 2015 | 12:00AM |

Property

UMW Oil & Gas Corps NAGA 7 Jack up drilling rig

UMW O&G still coping well

IT’S not the best of times for oil and gas exploration companies and the effects of the crunch in crude oil prices have been felt in the scope of work for the oil drillers.

18 April 2015 | 12:00AM |

Oil & Gas

  • Page 1 of 34

Go to page:

advertisement

GST Updates

advertisement

advertisement