19-year-old threatens mass shooting on livestream, then buys gun in Texas, US feds say


Federal officials received a tip from a person in Florida, according to court records, and eventually learned that Boone had been the one to post the threatening message by tracking the Kik user’s IP address. — Reuters

A 19-year-old’s threatening message in an online chatroom sent FBI agents to his home, federal officials said.

“Remember my name, you lll be seeing it on the news and inside articles,” he said in the chatroom during a Kik livestream in December, according to court documents. “... Google me in about three days I’m not joking.”

Kik is a free messaging app known for “its increased privacy and anonymity in comparison to competitors,” according to Business Insider.

“I’m located in el paso Texas, you all know something ahead of time. My name is Jeremy hazen, I will be taking at least 12 people with me to hell” the post read. “The world will only wish they were made aware, of what I have told you today.”

Federal officials received a tip from a person in Florida, according to court records, and eventually learned that Trevin Wayne Michael Boone had been the one to post the threatening message by tracking the Kik user’s IP address.

When Boone spoke to FBI agents in May, the 19-year-old admitted to writing the message, but added that he was high at the time.

He told officials that he did not own a gun nor did he intend to shoot anyone, according to the probable cause statement filed June 13. Boone said his older brother was a convicted felon, meaning there could not be a gun in the home, court documents said.

Less than one month after that FBI interview, however, Boone went to a gun shop in San Antonio and purchased a Winchester Magnum Rifle along with five AR-15 30 round polymer magazines, according to the probable cause statement.

Due to his age, the background check for the gun purchase was placed on a 15-day hold. He paid for the gun and magazines but was not allowed to leave with the gun on June 13, officials said.

Officials charged Boone with interstate communication of a threat, according to court documents, which can lead to five years in prison if convicted. He was arrested, according to KENS.

Boone’s public defender did not immediately respond to McClatchy News’ request for comment on June 21.

Boone had already been charged with possession of narcotics in Bexar County in April after he allegedly shoplifted from a Target while carrying a BB gun and narcotics, according to court records.

San Antonio police found ballistics armor and a trench coat in Boone’s car while investigating the alleged shoplifting in September 2023, months before the online threat, according to court documents. He told police he kept those items “just in case there was a mass shooting,” according to the probable cause statement. – The Charlotte Observer/Tribune News Service

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!
   

Next In Tech News

France's Ubisoft posts Q1 net bookings beat on strong GaaS engagement
OpenAI unveils cheaper small AI model GPT-4o mini
Apple in talks to license more Hollywood films, Bloomberg News reports
SolarWinds beats most of U.S. SEC lawsuit over Russia-linked cyberattack
Meta in talks to buy 5% stake in Ray-Ban maker EssilorLuxottica, WSJ reports
Indonesia to launch nickel, tin online tracking system next week
India's Infosys raises annual sales forecast as IT demand returns
Saudia hands Germany's Lilium biggest order yet for flying taxis
Phone app leads family to pregnant teen’s body, US cops say. Now, ex-boyfriend charged
Shipping giant CMA CGM signs AI deal with Google

Others Also Read