Rakuten survey reveals Malaysian shopping habits
Online marketplace Rakuten recently conducted a so-called Shopping Secrets survey to find out the buying habits of online and offline shoppers in Malaysia.Here are a few interesting results from that survey:
- Interestingly, 45% of Malaysians surveyed prefer to do their shopping online on Valentine’s Day compared to Chinese New Year, where only 39% of the people surveyed bought their stuff online during the relevant period.
- More men (48%) prefer to shop online for Valentine’s Day compared to women (41%), while for Chinese New Year, the opposite is true, where 43% of women shopped online compared to only 36% of men.
- The top five gifts that people hope to receive for Valentine’s Day are a vacation, food and drink, jewellery, handphone or smart device, fashion and accessories.
- The top five categories most popular during Chinese New Year are fashion and accessories, electronics and appliances and Chinese New Year decorations.
- Malaysians are willing to spend an average of RM198.63 on their spouse, RM173.71 on their fiancé or fiancée, RM 159.03 on their girlfriend or boyfriend, and RM 156.09 on themselves.
Did you find this article insightful?