Rakuten survey reveals Malaysian shopping habits
Online marketplace Rakuten recently conducted a so-called Shopping Secrets survey to find out the buying habits of online and offline shoppers in Malaysia.
Here are a few interesting results from that survey:
- Interestingly, 45% of Malaysians surveyed prefer to do their shopping online on Valentine’s Day compared to Chinese New Year, where only 39% of the people surveyed bought their stuff online during the relevant period.
- More men (48%) prefer to shop online for Valentine’s Day compared to women (41%), while for Chinese New Year, the opposite is true, where 43% of women shopped online compared to only 36% of men.
- The top five gifts that people hope to receive for Valentine’s Day are a vacation, food and drink, jewellery, handphone or smart device, fashion and accessories.
- The top five categories most popular during Chinese New Year are fashion and accessories, electronics and appliances and Chinese New Year decorations.
- Malaysians are willing to spend an average of RM198.63 on their spouse, RM173.71 on their fiancé or fiancée, RM 159.03 on their girlfriend or boyfriend, and RM 156.09 on themselves.