Adding more silver linings to the OneCloud


  • Technology
  • Wednesday, 11 Jan 2012

By GABEY GOH bytz@thestar.com.my

PETALING JAYA: Jaring Communications in partnership with VMware is moving aggressively to stake a claim in the emerging enterprise-class cloud-based solutions market, with its OneCloud offering.

“We have always been an infrastructure player, so for Jaring this move is one of organic growth. We want to be associated with enterprise-class solutions that leverage on the strengths of both Jaring and VMware,” said Sher Khan Akbar Khan, head of value innovations at Jaring.

The company’s OneCloud offering was launched in July last year, with an investment of RM5mil and focuses on offering infrastructure-as-a-service (IaaS). The company’s base of existing customers is split between government agencies (60%) and enterprises (40%).

To differentiate its solution from competitors, Jaring is marketing OneCloud as an opportunity to “build a virtual datacentre,” offering CIOs and managers full control and flexibility via its service catalogue.

Another key differentiator is the option for customers to move workloads from their VMware vSphere-based virtualised or private cloud environment to the VMware vCloud Powered service, and back again.

To beef up data redundancy, the company’s second datacentre cluster based in Penang is slated to be operational before the end of the month.

Sher Khan also shared that rollout of software-as-a-service (SaaS) offerings is slated before the end of the first quarter of this year, with collaboration software Zimbra by VMware amongst its initial offerings. It is also working with other partners to expand application offerings via its platform.

More targets

While focusing on the enterprise segment, Jaring intends to extend its cloud offerings to small and medium businesses by the third quarter of this year. Despite OneCloud achieving “slightly below” its previously stated revenue target of RM2mil by the end of 2011, Jaring remains optimistic about meeting higher targets set for this year.

“With interest so high in cloud computing, the past year or so could be seen as a period of education for the industry and we foresee 2012 as the year of execution as more companies take their first steps into cloud-based solutions, having factored in intial investment costs into the budget cycle,” said Sher Khan.

Laurence Si, country manager for VMware agreed, citing an Asia Pacific research study conducted by Forrester Research, which revealed that 28% of major Malaysian organisations have already begun the transition to the cloud with another 36% stating that they were planning to.

“There is a massive hunger for cloud solutions, with cost reduction and increased business agility being the main drivers for adoption,” he said.

According to Si, VMware’s aims to remove complexity from the equation, allowing companies to base their IT decisions not on technical issues but on business objectives.

“When moving to the cloud everything changes for a company with 10% due to technical considerations and the other 90% impacting business models,” he said.

Si noted that roughly 70% of IT budgets are spent on maintaining existing infrastructure with only about 30% on new innovation. “The goal for companies is to switch those percentages around,” he said.

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
   

Did you find this article insightful?

Yes
No

Across the site