British sport ruling bodies hold talks with government on return of spectators


  • Tennis
  • Thursday, 17 Sep 2020

FILE PHOTO: Soccer Football - FA Community Shield - Arsenal v Liverpool - Wembley Stadium, London, Britain - August 29, 2020 General view of empty seats before the match, as play resumes behind closed doors following the outbreak of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) Pool via REUTERS/Justin Tallis

LONDON (Reuters) - British sport chiefs on Wednesday held talks with Secretary of State for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport Oliver Dowden on whether spectators can return to stadiums starting next month.

The government last week restricted pilot events to 1,000 spectators after a rise in COVID-19 cases, and said plans for a controlled return of fans into stadiums from Oct. 1 would be reviewed.

A joint statement from sport bodies, including the Football Association, Premier League, England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) and the Rugby Football Union, said: "Today we were able to explain our extensive arrangements for how we can manage a controlled return of fans following all relevant public health guidelines.

"We conveyed to the Secretary of State the very serious financial situation now facing our sports, clubs and venues and that we believe we can stage events safely.

"It is clear that if fans cannot return soon that there will be very serious economic implications across our sporting sector."

Other sporting bodies in the talks were the British Horseracing Authority, the Lawn Tennis Association, English Football League (EFL) and Rugby Football League.

The Premier League, which has had no fans at stadiums since last season resumed in June, have written to the government, saying clubs face financial losses of up to 700 million pounds ($907.48 million) if matches continue to be held behind closed doors.

The ECB also hosted each of England's international matches during the home summer without fans in attendance.

The ECB is planning to make 62 positions within the organisation redundant due to the financial impact of the pandemic, with professional cricket in the country sustaining losses of more than 100 million pounds.

The EFL has been cleared to run a pilot scheme this weekend with up to 1,000 fans allowed at each of the selected matches.

(Reporting by Hardik Vyas in Bengaluru, editing by Ed Osmond)

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
   

Did you find this article insightful?

Yes
No

Next In Tennis

Murray can still compete against top guys, says former coach
Women's tour aligns tournament categories with ATP
Australian Open to start on Feb. 8, players can train during quarantine - reports
Tennis Australia needs five years to recover from pandemic
Spanish player Perez gets eight-year ban for match fixing
Players will skip Australian Open if blocked from training in quarantine: Vallverdu
Pliskova appoints Bajin as new coach for 2021 season
Organisers await government nod to allow players to train in Australian Open quarantine
Nadal leads tennis world in paying respect to Maradona
Murray joins calls for domestic abuse policy in tennis

Stories You'll Enjoy