No ticket? No problem. Berrettini's biggest fan packs a microphone


  • Tennis
  • Sunday, 06 Sep 2020

FILE PHOTO: Tennis - bett1ACES exhibition tournament - Steffi Graf Stadium, Berlin, Germany - July 15, 2020 Italy's Matteo Berrettini reacts during his final match against Austria's Dominic Thiem REUTERS/Hannibal Hanschke

NEW YORK (Reuters) - A ban on spectators due to the COVID-19 pandemic did little to deter Matteo Berrettini's biggest fan on Saturday, who stood outside the fence to shout encouragement during the sixth seed's third-round victory on Saturday.

Giovanni Bartocci, whose Manhattan restaurant Via Delle Pace Berrettini famously frequented during the tournament last year, stood outside Billie Jean King National Tennis Center on Saturday shouting encouragement - and eventually employing a microphone and loudspeaker - as the Italian dismantled opponent Casper Ruud in straight sets on Court 17.

The spectacle attracted the attention of curious onlookers - but if the impassioned chef felt self-conscious about the attention, he certainly didn't show it.

"I think nobody didn't hear him," Berrettini told reporters with a smile. "(He) was really loud today. I think louder than the other days."

Bartocci, who appeared in Berrettini's box last year when he made it to the tournament's semifinals, was also spotted along the fence shouting cheers on Thursday when the 24-year-old beat second-round foe Ugo Humbert.

Berrettini said he may soon be returning the favor, after Bartocci's restaurant fell victim to a fire earlier this year.

"He got a little bit bad luck twice for the, I mean, for the fire and for the virus," said the world number eight, who this year has turned to Uber Eats for sustenance inside the quarantined player bubble. "I'm really looking forward to try to help him maybe a little bit."

He next plays Russia's Andrey Rublev in the fourth round. Whether he'll again feature on Court 17 - within earshot of Bartocci - remains to be seen.

"I don't know if the tournament is going to agree with that. Fourth round there (on Court 17). I don't know. I don't know. But why not? Would be great. Would be nice to hear him," he said.

"I played on Armstrong the first round," Berrettini said, referring to the indoor Louis Armstrong Stadium, "and he couldn't be there, but he's with me all the time."

(Reporting by Amy Tennery; editing by Jonathan Oatis)

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
   

Did you find this article insightful?

Yes
No

Next In Tennis

Exclusive: WTA looks to start 2021 season on January 4 outside Australia
Murray can still compete against top guys, says former coach
Women's tour aligns tournament categories with ATP
Australian Open to start on Feb. 8, players can train during quarantine - reports
Tennis Australia needs five years to recover from pandemic
Spanish player Perez gets eight-year ban for match fixing
Players will skip Australian Open if blocked from training in quarantine: Vallverdu
Pliskova appoints Bajin as new coach for 2021 season
Organisers await government nod to allow players to train in Australian Open quarantine
Nadal leads tennis world in paying respect to Maradona

Stories You'll Enjoy