PETALING JAYA: The country’s young swimmers, who have been looking forward to making a splash this weekend, has been dealt a huge blow.
Malaysia Swimming (Mas) have been forced to call off Friday’s inaugural Milo Age-Group Swimming Championships at the National Aquatic Centre in Bukit Jalil due to the two-week movement control order announced on Monday.
Their secretary Mae Chen said the timing was unfortunate as they had received the green light to host the event from the Sports Commissioner’s office earlier in the week.
“Everything are in place to host it including strict SOPs. But with the MCO, we’ll have to postpone it to another date.
“It’s a pity for the swimmers who have been looking forward to getting back into competitive mode, ” said Mae.
The meet is aimed for swimmers in three age-groups (13-14,15-16,17 and over) and was supposed to be the first event to kick off the 2021 calendar.
Mae added that it’s anybody’s guess as to when it can now take place. “It’s beyond my call. I guess we can only hope the MCO will not be extended too long.”
The national age-group championships in March last year was the last meet before the Covid-19 pandemic put a halt to all sports activities.
Did you find this article insightful?