KUALA LUMPUR: The extension of the movement control order (MCO) until June 9 has left national squash players in a highly-strung state of mind.
The national team comprising 33 players – 17 men and 16 women – are feeling frustrated and helmed-in after training at home since the imposition of the MCO on March 18.
Squash Racquets Association of Malaysia (SRAM) director Major (rtd) S. Maniam said they hope there would be no more extension after June 9.
“It can be quite frustrating to train at home. The players need to start hitting the ball on court as they cannot just be doing workouts inside their homes for almost two months now, ” said Maniam. “The players have to train on court to get back into their game and regain their rhythm. We can start off by only allowing one player on court to hit the ball due to social distancing, ” said Maniam.
SRAM conducted two fitness tests, last month and last week by Zoom, and they were impressed with the players’ fitness level.
Asked when the competitions would begin, Maniam said that there are no tournaments lined up for the next couple of months because of the Covid-19 pandemic.
“We’re keeping our fingers crossed that the situation will improve and the players will be able to play in tournaments, ” said Maniam.
The Professional Squash Association (PSA) have cancelled all tournaments until the end of July.
Did you find this article insightful?