Eain Yow on the up-and-up despite ToC defeat


  • Squash
  • Tuesday, 14 Jan 2020

PETALING JAYA: National No.1 Ng Eain Yow’s bid to break into the top 20 in the world rankings continues gaining steam despite his exit in the third round of the Tournament of Champions in New York.

The unseeded Eain Yow gave world No.3 Tarek Momen of Egypt a run for his money before losing 9-11,4-11,11-3 and 9-11 in the 42-minute match, yesterday.

The world No. 34 started his campaign beating world No.56 George Parker in the first round before knocking out No. 25 Mathieu Castagnet of France in the second round last week.

The 21-year-old Eain Yow said he had tried to match Momen but was undone by the seasoned Egyptian’s speed.

“I thought I started playing more towards his strength and ended up struggling to get used to his speed and pace.

“Once I changed my game, it was really close towards the end, ” said Eain Yow.

“I think this is a good outing for me here in New York... beating someone at a similar level in the first round 3-0 and a former world No. 6 in the second round are both good results for me.”

Eain Yow will next head to Bristol in England to continue training under coach Hadrian Stiff and will miss the Chinese New Year celebrations at home this year.

“I still need to train and compete more with the players at the higher levels to further improve for 2020. I’ll be heading back to the UK to train for the next two months so I will be away for the Chinese New Year this year, ” he said.

“I’m looking at breaking into the top 20 this year, I still have lots of work to do so I’m really looking forward to 2020.”

Article type: free
User access status:
   

Did you find this article insightful?

Yes
No

100% readers found this article insightful

Across The Star Online