PETALING JAYA: The delayed Women’s World Squash Championship will not be an extravagant affair as it has been put together at such a short notice.
The women’s world meet was initially scheduled to be held from Dec 11-17 last year. But it was scrapped at the eleventh hour after the previous promoters – Hallmark Events Group – failed to raise sufficient funds. The promoters had also cited security concerns for their decision.
But new promoter Mohd Azlan Iskandar, a former national player who heads sports event company Sportspin, is just glad to have revived the tournament, which will be held at the National Squash Centre in Bukit Jalil from April 23-30.
“What happened last year is sad. A lot of the players lost ranking points and potential earnings ... this event is for them,” said Azlan.
“I didn’t think it was feasible at first ... not at such a short notice. But I managed to raise the funds needed from the private sectors with the help of our Sport Minister (Khairy Jamaluddin) to get it going.
“But I do not want to over-promise. This will not be a flashy or fabulous event ... the financial constraints won’t allow it.”
The former world No. 10 also said that Sportspin would receive help from the Professional Squash Association (PSA) to ensure the smooth running of the event.
The event will boast a total prize money of US$200,000 (RM846,000) and a 32-field for the main draw.
Eight-time world champion Nicol David is expected to defend her title. The other Malaysians in the fray are Delia Arnold, Low Wee Wern, Rachel Arnold, Teh Min Jie and Vanessa Raj.
Did you find this article insightful?