KUALA LUMPUR: The Men’s World Team Squash Championship in Cairo, Egypt from Dec 12-18 has been postponed.
The Egyptian Squash Federation informed the World Squash Federation that the decision was taken due to the many teams who have withdrawn from the tournament citing security concerns.
“We request this postponement with a heavy heart as Cairo is a safe city,” said the Egyptian Federation President Assem Khalifa on Friday.
“All arrangements for the holding of the event are in place, including full government support to ensure protection as would be afforded to visiting VIPS, and so there is no reason for the championship not to proceed.
“However we are mindful that some teams did not wish to attend the championship for their own reasons and wish to end any uncertainty for other nations in a positive way by postponing until a later date. It pains us to do so as there is no reason for this and many teams have incurred costs, but it is something we must do to be fair to all.”
Earlier, six teams – defending champions England, France, Finland, Germany, Canada and the US – pulled out from the tournament, with eight-time champions Australia having second thoughts about competing as well.
The teams are said to have cited security concerns following the terrorist attacks in Paris last month as the reason for pulling out of the tournament.This is the second major blow to squash. The Women’s World Championship, scheduled to be held in Kuala Lumpur from Dec 11-18, is also in doubt after promoters – Hallmark Events Group – proposed on Monday that the competition be postponed due to security concerns as well.
Did you find this article insightful?