PETALING JAYA: Forget about international competitions for now but revive the domestic events to keep the national shooters on their toes.
That’s the call made by national shooting coach Yusri Jusoh after the Government gave the greenlight for shooters to begin their training session this week after a long break due to the Covid-19 pandemic.
With many international competitions suspended, cancelled or postponed, the National Shooting Association of Malaysia (NSAM) are hopeful of getting the approval to start hosting local meets in July.
Yusri said the shooters needed to sharpen their competitive edge.
“There are several international tournaments in Taiwan and Indonesia that have been postponed but there is no guarantee whether we get to compete, so it’s best that we restart our domestic tournaments,” said Yusri.
“We’re ready to start the training.
“We’ve already prepared the standard operating procedures to facilitate this.
“Only a certain distance is allowed for shooters between bays. There are also daily disinfecting facilities and temperature checks before entering the range at the National Sports Council in Bukit Jalil and also the National Shooting Range in Subang.”
So far, the national senior and junior shooters have only competed in the Selangor Shooting Championship and NSAM President Ally T.H. Ong Trophy this year.
Two other tournaments – Tun Hanif Trophy and Tun Tan Siew Sin Trophy, scheduled from April 14-19 and June 9-14 respectively, were postponed.
During the long break, the shooters had trained at home and had sent daily videos of their workouts to their coaches, National Sports Institute (NSI) and NSC.
“All of them have diligently followed the programmes, and I’m happy with the progress shown by them,” he said.
“Motivation wise, they are all pumped up and are eager to get back to competitive action.
“That is why I strongly believe that they should take part in domestic competitions first and gain as much exposure as possible.”
Did you find this article insightful?