PETALING JAYA: National shooters need not worry about competitions and training programmes in the future.
This is the assurance given by the National Sports Council’s director for athletes’ preparation Jefri Ngadirin a day after Olympian Johnathan Wong claimed that the shooters were in the dark over their competition plans.
Johnathan called for more transparency and better planning so that the shooters can get back on track and stay focused on their mission to qualify for the Olympic Games in Tokyo next year.
The shooters have been without local competitions for nine months due to the closure of the National Shooting Range in Subang but it has been opened for use last week.
Jefri said the shooters had been sent for international tournaments.
“We’ve sent some of them to the ISSF World Cup in Delhi, Beijing and Munich this year,” said Jefri.
The other competitions lined-up are two in August - the South-East Asia (SEASA) Championships in Jakarta and ISSF World Cup in Rio De Janeiro, Brazil. Then, there is the Asian Shooting Championships in Doha, Qatar, in November.
“Johnathan and Alia (Sazana Azahari) will take part in the World Cup. We will choose the shooters for the Phillipines SEA Games (in November) based on their results in these tournaments.
“There are 12 shooters under the NSC programmes. We are clear with the competitions that we have lined up for the shooters ... they do not have to worry,” he said.
Jefri hopes that the opening of the range in Subang will give the shooters more opportunities to compete in local tournaments.
“It’s good to have the local scene back on track. Soon, the national shooters will get to use the range again,” said Jefri.
National head coach Park Sang-soon of South Korea confirmed that the national team would be training at the range in Subang on July 16 and will compete in the Selangor Shooting Championship from July 23-29.