SUBANG: The reopening of the National Shooting Range is a welcome boost for the national shooters in their preparation for the Philippines SEA Games in November.
The National Shooting Association of Malaysia (NSAM) training and competitions committee member Datuk Musa Omar said that they had received the green light from the police on Tuesday.
The clubhouse, which also serves as the permanent headquarters of the South-East Asia Shooting Association, came under scrutiny after a 19-year-old student killed himself in a college toilet with a Walther GS pistol in June last year.
The student, a club member, had taken the firearm from the range in Subang.
The clubhouse was subsequently raided and sealed in September last year after it failed to beef up its security measures.
The premise boasts a dozen Olympic-standard shooting range, accommodating all shooting categories.
National team coach Park Sang-soon said that it has been difficult for the athletes as they had to train in Bukit Jalil and Kuantan.
“This is the only shooting range in the country which has the electronic scoring system used in international competitions,” said Sang-soon.
“We prefer to train here because this is how it is done in major events and if our shooters go into the final, they will have problems because they lack training with the system.”