PETALING JAYA: There will be no Asian rugby competitions this year.
This was confirmed by the regional body Asia Rugby in a statement yesterday as they announced the decision to cancel all competitions scheduled from Oct 1 to Dec 31.
This means that the Asian Rugby Championship, which comprises of Malaysia, South Korea and Hong Kong are off.
“After a comprehensive consultation process and constructive dialogue with the hosts, it has been decided that all competitions slated to take place in quarter 4 of 2020 will not take place due to Covid-19, ” said the statement.
The decision was taken by Asia Rugby executive committee members in a meeting held on July 29 based on unanimous recommendations received from Asia Rugby’s medical committee and Asia Rugby’s competitions committee.
Asia Rugby president Qais Al Dhalai said the decision had been taken to help protect Asia Rugby community and all involved in the game.
“Our decision is based on the feedback from the competition committee and Covid working group, which have followed the guidelines set by World Rugby on the safe return to rugby, the relevant public authorities and the local and global travel and health guidelines.”
Did you find this article insightful?