Stade Francais vs. Munster called off after Paris attacks


  • Rugby
  • Wednesday, 18 Nov 2015

PARIS (Reuters) - Stade Francais' Champions Cup game against Munster on Sunday has been called off following last week's deadly attacks in Paris, the French club said on Tuesday.

"After the recent tragic events, Stade Francais does not wish to put an additional burden on or to complicate the action of the police forces by organising a sporting event set to put together 15,000 spectators at the Jean Bouin stadium," Stade Francais said in a statement.

France is in a state of emergency after last Friday's attacks in Paris on bars, restaurants, a concert hall and a soccer stadium killed 129 and injured 352. Islamic State has claimed responsibility for the attacks.

The Top 14 game between Racing 92 and Toulouse scheduled for Nov. 28 will be called off as well, a source with direct knowledge of the matter told Reuters.

(Reporting by Julien Pretot and Brian Love; Editing by Toby Davis)

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
   

Did you find this article insightful?

Yes
No

Next In Rugby

Champions Cup and Challenge Cup to resume with knockout rounds in April - organisers
France v Scotland to go ahead as planned after no new COVID-19 cases
Crusaders to set the pace in Super Rugby Aotearoa 2.0
Super Rugby Aotearoa team-by-team
England's Vunipola says his Six Nations form has been 'rubbish'
Scotland want to go ahead with France fixture
Davies to return to bolster Wales against England
Rugby: Rebels' Super Rugby AU fixture switched because of border closures
Rugby League: Salford to use microchipped mouthguards to monitor collisions
More rest days for players at 2023 World Cup as part of welfare package

Stories You'll Enjoy


Vouchers