Opening ceremony director dismissed after past comments on Holocaust, Tokyo 2020 says


The Olympic Rings are seen in front of the skyline during sunset, three days ahead of the official opening of the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games in Tokyo, Japan, July 20, 2021. REUTERS/Kai Pfaffenbach

TOKYO (Reuters) - The director of the opening ceremony of the Tokyo 2020 Olympics has been dismissed, organisers said on Thursday, following news reports about his past comments on the Holocaust.

Tokyo 2020 President Seiko Hashimoto told a briefing that Kentaro Kobayashi had been dismissed because of past comments that made fun of a tragedy.

(Reporting by Kiyoshi Takenaka; Writing by David Dolan; Editing by Shri Navaratnam)

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 46
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
Join our Telegram channel to get our Evening Alerts and breaking news highlights
   

Next In Others

Olympics-LA28 Games will be 'on time and on budget', says new CEO
Paralympians rewarded handsomely for inspiring feats in Tokyo
Sarawak plans to build centre of high performance
Sports Industry Coalition: Reopening of events a welcome reprieve
Astro to give three new sports channels at no extra cost
Forget about Tokyo, Ziyad just wants to take family for a good meal
Di Grassi stays in Formula E with Venturi after Audi exit
Italian watchdog opens inquiry into DAZN viewership data for live soccer matches
EU draws inspiration from female Paralympic champion
Sports stars Teddy Riner and Tony Parker invest in French company Colizey

Stories You'll Enjoy


Vouchers