Evans and Ng offered pro tour cards in big break for women


FILE PHOTO: Ng On Yee of Hong Kong plays a shot during her semi-final match against Reanne Evans of England during the Eden World Women's Snooker Championship in Singapore March 19, 2017. REUTERS/Yong Teck Lim/File Photo

LONDON (Reuters) - England's Reanne Evans and Hong Kong's Ng On-yee have been offered two-year tour cards to play regularly against the men on the professional circuit, the World Snooker Tour (WST) said on Monday.

World Women's Snooker (WWS) president Mandy Fisher said the International Women's Day announcement ranked as "one of the most significant days in our history so far."

The WWS celebrates its 40th anniversary this year.

"For our tour and most importantly our players to be recognised in this way represents a huge moment for women in snooker," added Fisher.

Evans, winner of the women's world championship a record 12 times, and Ng have been leading lights for 15 years with the pair dominating major competitions.

Ng is a three times world champion and also a former world number one.

"For many years we have championed the role of women in our sport," Jason Ferguson, chairman of the World Professional Billiards and Snooker Association (WPBSA), said in a statement.

"We firmly believe that there is no reason why a woman cannot compete equally with a man and today’s announcement underlines our commitment to women’s snooker both now and in the future."

Places for women will continue to be offered every season at world championship qualifiers and Champion of Champions events.

(Reporting by Alan Baldwin, editing by Ken Ferris)

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 46
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
   

Next In Others

Soccer-Barca's Koeman hits out at football authorities as Super League fallout continues
Soccer-AC Milan indicate withdrawal from breakaway Super League
Olympics-Women's football draw for Tokyo 2020
Soccer-Atletico latest club to abandon Super League
Olympics-Men's football draw for Tokyo 2020
Exclusive-Soccer-Breakaway Super League cannot go ahead, says Agnelli
Soccer-Players, staff threatened by fans after relegation confirmed: Schalke
Soccer-Juventus President Agnelli says Super League going ahead - paper
Soccer-'Finally seeing sense': Reaction to England's six clubs leaving Super League
Soccer-Super League shelved as more clubs withdraw

Stories You'll Enjoy


Vouchers