PETALING JAYA: The movement control order (MCO) has been extended till Feb 18 but Youth and Sports Minister Datuk Seri Reezal Merican Naina Merican is optimistic that there will be some reprieve of sorts for the sports and recreation sector soon.
Reezal said the issue regarding the sports and recreation sector had been tabled at the National Security Council (MKN) special meeting chaired by Prime Minister Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin on Tuesday.
The discussion was based on suggestions and recommendations from the industry players as well as an engagement session with the sports industry community a week ago.
“Thank you to the Prime Minister (Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin) who well understands the issue.
“A suitable standard operating procedure (SOP) is being discussed for the current MCO.
“I have full confidence that operators and sports industry players are careful and will comply with the regulations or SOP set.
“I expect some good news for us all soon. Take care and keep safe. Let’s break the Covid-19 chain together, ” he said on his Facebook page.
Reezal added he is focused on three perspectives when debating the issue.
“There is a high compliance rate with the SOP by operators and industry players, which resulted in almost no cases involving the sector.
“The livelihood of Malaysians involved in sports activities for income such as commercial sports facility operators and finally, the fact that the sports industry must be viewed as a huge economic ecosystem and not to merely focus on the sports activities itself.
“Sports as an industry also pulls in high value commercial investment, including corporate sponsorship, broadcasting and content.”
Except for Sarawak, the entire country is under MCO for another two weeks as the Covid-19 situation continues to be at a worrying level.