KUALA LUMPUR: Sarawak are the only team who will not feature in the 50th edition of the Razak Cup hockey tournament in Kuantan from Oct 14-23.
Malaysian Hockey Confederation (MHC) secretary Johari Aziz said the Sarawak HA did not give any reasons for not competing in the premier tournament.
“Fifteen teams have confirmed their participation, including our affiliates Armed Forces and Police,” said Johari.
Defending champions Kuala Lumpur, who have won the tournament eight consecutive times, will start as the favourites in Division One.
The other teams in Division One are Perak, Terengganu, Pahang, Penang, Armed Forces, Johor and Negri Sembilan.
Malacca, who finished bottom in Division One last year, have been demoted to Division Two.
The other teams in the lower division are Kelantan, Selangor, Kedah, Perlis and Police and Sabah.
Johari said all the players will have to represent their home states.
Each team must have at least four Under-21 players, a minimum two of whom must play in a match.
Newly-appointed national coach Paul Revington and his assistant S. Arul Selvaraj will use the tournament to select players for the national team.
The Selangor HA will be conducting open trials at the Ministry of Education Turf from 8pm on Oct 3-4. Selangor-born players are encouraged to attend.