PETALING JAYA: The 35th edition of the Canon Malaysian Open bowling tournament at the Sunway Megalanes from May 4-12 will see an increase in prize money from RM219,150 to RM366,050.
And it would seem logical for a tournament with a substantial purse to seek inclusion in the World Bowling Tour, which is sanctioned by the World Tenpin Bowling Association (WTBA).
However, Malaysian Tenpin Bowling Congress (MTBC) president Datuk Dr P.S. Nathan thinks otherwise.
“To be included in the Tour, we must have a minimum prize money of US$100,000 and we also need to pay a certain amount as sanctioning fees.
“Personally, I think the Tour is a financial gimmick for the WTBA to raise funds. Why should we raise that amount of money for prizes only for the foreigners to come and take it all?” said Nathan.
The Tour has seen an increase in sanctioned tournaments to 13 from eight when it was launched last year.
However, the Malaysian Open will still glitter with the presence of top Professional Bowlers Association (PBA) players like Sean Rash, Mika Koivuniemi, Ryan Ciminelli, Dino Castillo and Parker Bohn III.
“Thanks to the support from Canon, Astro, Sunway Resort Hotel and Spa, Century Logistics, Nestle, Mesuma and Sunway Megalanes, we are able to organise a more prestigious event this year,” said Nathan.
Malaysia bagged a double in last year’s tournament. Mohd Nur Aiman Khairuddin emerged as the men’s champion while Zandra Aziela Ibrahim Hakimi took the women’s crown.
We're sorry, this article is unavailable at the moment. If you wish to read this article, kindly contact our Customer Service team at 1-300-88-7827. Thank you for your patience - we're bringing you a new and improved experience soon!