French court delays verdict in Mosley’s suit against tabloid


PARIS: A Paris court on Tuesday deferred until Nov 8 its verdict in former world motorsport chief Max Mosley’s suit against a British tabloid that accused him of taking part in a Nazi-themed orgy.

The court had been due to rule on Tuesday in Mosley’s defamation action against Rupert Murdoch’s News Group, publisher of the now-defunct News of the World tabloid, but said it was deferring its decision for technical reasons.

Mosley, 71, already won a case in a British court against News Group, after the News of the World published a front-page story in March 2008 entitled “F1 boss has sick Nazi orgy with 5 hookers.”

The British tabloid story labelled Mosley “a sadomasochistic sex pervert” and posted a video of the episode, secretly recorded by one of the participants, on its website.

Mosley, whose father led the British fascist party in the 1930s, has acknowledged paying five women for sex, but said the event depicted in the paper was a prison fantasy and challenged the claim that the episode was Nazi-themed.

The British court awarded him US$96,000 in damages.

Mosley subsequently filed suit against News Group in France, which has more strict privacy laws, on charges of defamation and violating his private life. He had been asking for 200,000 in damages. — AFP

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
Join our Telegram channel to get our Evening Alerts and breaking news highlights

   

Stories You'll Enjoy


Vouchers