GEORGE TOWN: Treble champions Kedah are serious about only wanting to have players who are committed to their cause and not those out to make a quick buck.
The Canaries, who won the Malaysia Cup, Super League and FA Cup titles in the last two seasons, have already identified five new players for their challenge next year.
But Kedah are not prepared to go on a bidding war with other teams to lure these players to their ranks.
Coach Mohd Azraai Khor confirmed that contract negotiations with the players were in the final stages and the team would be finalised before pre-season training begins on Oct 23.
“We would not stand in the way of a player who prefers to sign up elsewhere just because he was offered more money. In fact, we do not need these kind of players in our squad,” he said from Alor Star yesterday.
“We only want players who are seriously committed to achieving success with us and can blend with the rest of the squad’s winning mentality.”
Azraai added that they would only reveal the identities of the new players after they had been signed up.
But the Kedah football fraternity is already abuzz with news that national player Indra Putra Mahayuddin is among the five new players.
The Perak-born Indra, who was one of those released by Selangor’s recent clear-out, is also high on several other teams’ wanted list.
For the 2009 challenge, Kedah have only dropped three players from last season’s senior squad Rezuan Nawi, Zamzuri Isa and Hasmawi Hassan.
“Kedah will still depend on the majority of the players who brought us success in the past two seasons. Our emphasis on developing young players in the state will also continue,” said Azaari.