DUBAI: The International Cricket Council (ICC) yesterday postponed until next year Septembers Champions Trophy in Pakistan over security fears.
The move came two days after South Africa refused to send their team, while players associations from Australia, New Zealand and England urged their players not to travel to the troubled country over serious security concerns.
The decision to postpone the event was taken after a tele-conference of the ICC executive board in Dubai yesterday.
Pakistan Cricket Board chief operating officer Shafqat Naghmi said while disappointing, the decision to postpone was a sort of victory for Pakistan.
We are naturally disappointed but in a way the postponement is a victory for us. Under these circumstances there were only two solutions: either to relocate the event to Sri Lanka or postpone it. Had it been relocated it would have deprived us of the hosting rights, said Naghmi from Islamabad.
We are sure that the event will be held in Pakistan next year.
The event, scheduled to be held from Sept 12-28, had ran into trouble after Australia postponed their full tour to Pakistan over security fears triggered in the wake of suicide bombings earlier this year. AFP