Champions Schools tourney to bow out


KUALA LUMPUR: After more than 20 years, the Malaysian Hockey Federation (MHF) are ready to scrap the Champions Schools tournament.

This is because the co-curriculum unit under the Education Ministry have decided to introduce the Premier Schools tournament this year.

The Champions Schools tournament was initially slated for July 17-24 while the Premier Schools tournament was fixed for July 21-24.

The MHF secretary, Hashim Mohamed Yusof, said yesterday: “This year's tournament is off but we could scrap the Champions Schools permanently because there is no point in having two similar tournaments each year.

“We will be talking to people from the co-curriculum unit on June 25 and find out how we can work together. We want to find out details on the future plans of the Premier Schools tournament. We were told that it would be an annual affair.”

The Champion Schools tournament was initiated in 1987 and it was held annually except for 1998. Milo had been the major sponsors of the tournament with the National Sports Council (NSC) coming in later.

Hashim added that they were not aware of the Premier Schools tournament when they drew up their calendar.

“When we found out later and learnt that was duplication of the Champion Schools tournament, we decided to give way to them,” he said.

The scrapping of the tournament leaves the MHF with the national Under-14, Under-16 and the Under-21 championships as their age-group level competitions. The MHF also have the Malaysia Junior Hockey League (MJHL), which is a club-based Under-19 championships.

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
Join our Telegram channel to get our Evening Alerts and breaking news highlights
   

Stories You'll Enjoy


Vouchers