Kedah back on top

PETALING JAYA: Striker Marlon James (pic) was the hero as defending champions Kedah regained the lead in the Super League with a 2-0 win over basement side UPB-MyTeam at the Darulaman Stadium in Alor Star last night. 

The St Vincent forward scored a brace in the 15th and 79th minutes to sink winless UPB-MyTeam and send the Canaries to the top of the standings with 13 points. 

Terengganu, the previous leaders, surprisingly went down 2-4 to newcomers Police at the Selayang Municipal Council Stadium. Azlan Ismail gave the cops the lead after 27 minutes and Kenyan Hillary Echesa made it 2-0 in the 38th minute. 

Echesa was again on target three minutes into the second-half as Police looked headed for a comfortable win. But Terengganu staged a fightback with Gleeson Friere scoring in the 62nd minute. Friere, however, was red-carded two minutes later. 

Despite being a man down, Terengganu still managed to reduce the deficit to 2-3 through Mat Ashari Shamsuddin in the 83rd minute. 

There was relief for Police when Ahmad Latiff Kamaruddin put the issue beyond doubt with a goal in the 90th minute for a 4-2 win. The win lifted Police up to eighth spot. 

Perlis wasted a chance to go top when they were held to a 1-1 draw by Brunei DPMM at Stadium Utama in Kangar.  

The Northern Lions, who were second before the match, had to fight hard to secure a point.  

The visitors surprised the home team by taking a 1-0 lead at the stroke of half-time through Ashfaq Ali. Fortunately, Mohd Fauzi Nan came to Perlis’ rescue with the equaliser a minute from full time.  

Fiery clash: Perak (in yellow) and Penang players involved in a shoving match during their Super League game at the Batu KawanStadium last night. Perak won 2-0. – CHIN CHENG YEANG / The Star

There was scant consolation for Perlis as they plunged from second to sixth spot after the draw. 

At the State Stadium in Batu Kawan, Perak scored a goal in each half to secure their fourth win of the season.  

Striker Khalid Jamlus drew first blood for the Seladang at the stroke of half-time.  

Chilean forward Carlos Caceres converted a penalty in the 68th minute to give Steve Darby’s team all the three points. 

Selangor moved up a rung to fourth after an easy 3-1 win over Pahang at the Darulmakmur Stadium in Kuantan. The Red Giants scored through Frank Seator (24th minute), Indra Putra Mahayuddin (28th) and R. Surendran (84th) while Zainuddin Ariffin (55th) replied for the Elephants.  

At the State Stadium in Kuching, Negri Sembilan downed Sarawak 3-2 to move up to third in the standings. 

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 0
Subscribe now to our Premium Plan for an ad-free and unlimited reading experience!

Others Also Read