Work permit quandary for South Africa coach Parreira


  • Other Sport
  • Sunday, 11 Feb 2007

JOHANNESBURG: New coach Carlos Alberto Parreira (pic), hired to spur South Africa to victory on home turf at the 2010 World Cup, has started his job without valid papers and faced a potential fine, officials said on Friday. 

South African Football Association’s (SAFA) chief executive Raymond Hack told AFP that the Brazilian, hired on a US$252,000 salary, did not have a work permit as yet. 

“Yes, he is not properly documented but it is being taken care of now,” Hack said. 

The 64-year-old former Brazilian World Cup winning-team coach has already held a three-day training camp in Johannesburg with his squad. 

SAFA spokesman Morio Sanyane said Parreira’s work permit had been held up as they were waiting for documents from Brazil to process the papers. 

“We were waiting for his police clearance and medical certificates which are here now and as we speak his work permit is in the process of being done,” said Sanyane. 

Parreira and his Brazilian assistant are in the country on visitors’ visas.– AFP 


Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 7
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
   

Across The Star Online