MADRID: Real Madrid have joined Barcelona in taking legal action against French daily newspaper Le Monde for alleging that the clubs had links to the doctor at the centre of a Spanish doping investigation.
In a statement on Tuesday, Real said they had never been linked with Dr Eufemiano Fuentes nor used his services and any documents the newspaper had of supposed physical preparation plans for the players were false.
Real also said Fuentes had no relationship with the club's medical team, that none of their players had visited him, and no unauthorised substances had been used at the club.
“Taking into account the falsities printed in the newspaper we require them to publish a retraction as soon as possible, putting right these points in the same form as the original article,” Real said on their website.
“Either way, Real Madrid will put forward the appropriate legal action against the newspaper and the people directly or indirectly responsible for these incorrect facts.”
Fuentes, who has collaborated with a number of cycling teams, has been accused of offences against public health in Spain following raids on a number of addresses in Madrid and Zaragoza in May this year. – Reuters