MPPJ fined and banned for pulling out of Super League

PETALING JAYA: Petaling Jaya Municipal Council (MPPJ) have been slapped a RM50,000 fine and a two-year suspension for not wanting to play in the Super League next season. 

While the fine was in line with previous cases, the two-year suspension leaves a big question mark. 

Last year, Selangor club sides MK Land and Public Bank were fined a similar amount but were suspended for five years for withdrawing from this season's second-tier Premier League because of financial constraints. 

The FA of Malaysia's (FAM) competitions committee chairman, Datuk Raja Ahmad Zainuddin Raja Omar, said that MPPJ “showed no interest” when they failed to meet an extended deadline from July 31 to Aug 31 to confirm participation in the Super League. 

“We have no choice but to leave them out as they failed to correspond and communicate with us,” said Raja Ahmad at the Wisma FAM in Kelana Jaya yesterday. 

Next season's Super League and Premier League have been expanded to 14 teams each playing a home-and-away format. The Premier League teams have until the end of next month to register participation. 

“We have given enough time for all. There won't be any replacements for teams who withdraw. With MPPJ out, there will be 13 teams in the Super League,” said Raja Ahmad. 

MPPJ, who won the Malaysia Cup in 2003, worked on a whopping RM14mil budget this season but ran into all sorts of problem. 

Two of their foreign players – Argentine Juan Manuel Arostegui and Brazilian Carlos Alberto Ianiski – walked out of the team in the quarter-finals of the Malaysia Cup competition last month because of non-payment of salaries. 

German coach Michael Feichtenbeiner, who was asked to leave the team without any reason in February, has taken legal action against the club and reported the case to FIFA. The removal of Feichtenbeiner was a surprise because the team were going great guns then to top the table. 

MPPJ went on to finish sixth in the eight-team Super League. They were eliminated in the second round of the FA Cup.