LONDON: Former world boxing champion "Prince" Naseem Hamed was criticised yesterday for leaving prison - where he had been serving time for a dangerous driving conviction - in a stretch limousine.
The 32-year-old's former manager Brendan Ingle was quoted by the Daily Mirror as saying that being driven off in the stretch Range Rover, with a Rolls Royce in tow, was disrespectful to his permanently crippled victim.
"He should have come out on a donkey, said sorry to everybody and eaten a bit of humble pie," Ingle told the newspaper.
"He hasn't changed or learnt his lesson. Coming out like that in flash cars is like sticking up two fingers."
Hamed was sent to jail for 15 months in May this year after he caused a 144km per hour head-on crash in May 2004 which left driver Andrew Burgin seriously injured.
The fighter then left the scene.
Burgin's lawyer Jane Wright was quoted by the Daily Mail as saying that the former sportsman's ostentatious display on Monday compounded the early release from a low security "open" jail after serving just a quarter of his sentence.
"Mr Burgin is struggling to come to terms with the fact that he has been released a lot sooner...
"I think the arrival in a stretch limo just epitomises a rather arrogant approach to this," she added.
Hamed, famed for his leopard-print trunks and supreme self-belief as well as spectacular entrances to the ring, was WBA, WBC and IBF world featherweight champion and also won the IBO world superfeatherweight crown.
But he has been out of the sport since 2002. - AFP