Telekom pile on more woes for MPPJ

MALACCA: Petaling Jaya Municipal Council (MPPJ), plagued by off-pitch woes, experienced more misery last night when they went down 0-3 to Malacca Telekom in their first leg Malaysia Cup quarter-final match at the Hang Jebat Stadium. 

Telekom led 2-0 at half-time through Chaswe Nsofwa in the 18th minute and skipper Mohd Hardi Jaafar who converted a penalty in the 32nd minute.  

Rudie Ramli virtually sealed their semi-final berth with a strike in the 73rd minute. 

MPPJ started off aggressively despite being troubled by their off-field problems. 

Their Argentine striker Juan Manuel Arostegui walked out of the team after not getting his salary while the Perlis Football Association are seeking RM60,000 in transfer fees for their two former players. 

Last night, Chow Chee Weng and Yusri Che Lah could have their names on the scoresheet but they ballooned their attempts in the fourth and seventh minutes. 

Telekom, on the other hand, resorted to a couple of breakaway raids mainly through Mohd Nizaruddin Yusop and Nsofwa. 

MPPJ’s defence marshalled by Chan Wing Hoong and Carlos Ianiski was breached in the 18th minute. 

Off a corner by defender Zainuddin Mohd Ariffin, a hesitant MPPJ back-line allowed an unmarked Nsofwa to scramble the ball home past MPPJ goalkeeper Mohd Faizal Abdul Rashid. 

The visitors fell further behind when Telekom doubled their lead in the 32nd minute. 

MPPJ defender Mohd Aslam Najumudeen brought down Telekom midfielder Ponaryo Astaman in the box and Mohd Hardi easily converted the spot kick. 

MPPJ began the second half eager to reduce the deficit. 

But their efforts were all in vain when Telekom increased their lead in the 73rd minute. 

Rudie tapped in the ball past Mohd Faizal after receiving a pass from Nsofwa to give Telekom a comfortable cushion for the return leg. 

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3

Stories You'll Enjoy