Reds chase after Argentine Milito


  • Other Sport
  • Thursday, 14 Jul 2005

LONDON: Liverpool were reported yesterday to be set to make an improved £7.5mil bid for Real Zaragoza's Argentine defender Gabriel Milito. 

“We need more players and more quality,” Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez said ahead of the club's defence of the Champions League which began last night against Total Network Solutions. 

“You can then approach every game with good prospects knowing you have a good squad. 

“We need a central defender. I have told (Jamie) Carragher and (Sami) Hyypia this because we need more competition. We also need a right-sided midfielder and a striker. 

“The statistics show that we needed to improve in defence, we need more clean sheets so we have to improve with new players. We lost a lot of games 1-0, that means we need to be stronger.” 

Liverpool had been linked with Birmingham's Matthew Upson, but Benitez likes to trust his vast knowledge of Spanish football. 

Milito is widely regarded as one of the best defenders in La Liga, and the 24-year-old has previously admitted that he would love to move to Anfield. 

“If Liverpool make a concrete offer then it would be very difficult to say no,” said Milito.  

“I am happy at Zaragoza but it is not every day the champions of Europe are interested in you.” 

Liverpool will hope that their latest bid will be enough to secure Milito's signature, after an earlier £6mil bid was turned down. 

Milito, 24, has 10 caps for Argentina and played at the recent Confederations Cup in Germany. – AFP 

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
   

Across the site