Gillingham send Charlton packing as Chelsea fight back to earn replay

  • Other Sport
  • Sunday, 04 Jan 2004

LONDON: First Division Gillingham produced the biggest upset so far in the third round of the FA Cup when they beat Premier League high-fliers Charlton Athletic 3-2 yesterday. 

The Gills fell behind in the first minute after an own goal by Ian Cox but they stunned the visitors with goals from Tommy Johnson, Mamady Sidibe and Paul Smith to seal a famous win. 

Third Division Kidderminster were two minutes away from a shock win over Premier League Wolverhampton Wanderers after John Williams put them in front in the 77th minute, but Wolves midfielder Alex Rae pounced to force a replay. 

Premier League glamour club Chelsea also face a replay against First Division Watford after the Londoners were held to a 2-2 draw on a poor quality pitch at Vicarage Road. 

Watford, managed by former Chelsea player Ray Lewington, who guided them to the semi-finals last season, twice took the lead in the first half through Heidar Helguson’s controversial opener and Alan Mahon. 

England midfielder Frank Lampard grabbed the Londoners’ second equaliser late in the first half to set up a re-match at Stamford Bridge. 

Chelsea striker Eidur Gudjohnsen, who scored Chelsea’s other goal from the penalty spot, said: “We are both disappointed and relieved – 2-2 was probably fair. It was a hard pitch to play football on.” 

Afterwards Mahon told Sky Sports: “We had one of two other chances but if you told us before the game it would have finished 2-2 we would have taken it.” 

And of the penalty decision that went against him, Mahon said: “He (Gallas did clip me) but the referee saw something different.” 

However, his manager was elated by the result. “We had one or two things go against us but we also had one or two things go for us,” Lewington said. “It’s a great result for the club, another big pay day and we need it,” added Lewington of the replay. 

Non-league Telford produced a major upset when they beat First Division Crewe Alexandra 1-0, courtesy of an early goal from Lee Mills, while Premier League Portsmouth needed a late goal from Nigerian striker Aiyegbeni Yakubu to snatch a 2-1 win at home to Second Division Blackpool. 

Premier League Everton survived an early scare against First Division leaders Norwich as veteran striker Duncan Ferguson scored twice from the penalty spot to secure an ultimately comfortable 3-1 home win. 

A hat-trick from striker Freddie Kanoute gave Premier League strugglers Tottenham Hotspur a comfortable 3-0 win over London rivals Crystal Palace of the First Division. – Agencies 

English FA Cup third round results 

Accrington Stanley 0 Colchester 0, Barnsley 0 Scunthorpe 0, Birmingham City 2 Blackburn Rovers 0, Bradford 1 Luton 2, Cardiff 0 Sheffield United 1, Coventry 2 Peterborough 1, Crewe 0 Telford 1, Everton 3 Norwich 1, Gillingham 3 Charlton 2, Ipswich 3 Derby 0, Kidderminster 1 Wolverhampton 1, Manchester City 2 Leicester 2, Mansfield 0 Burnley 2, Middlesbrough 2 Notts County 0, Millwall 2 Walsall 1, Northampton 1 Rotherham 1, Nottingham Forest 1 West Brom 0, Portsmouth 2 Blackpool 1, Preston 3 Reading 3, Southend 1 Scarborough 1, Sunderland 1 Hartlepool 0, Swansea 2 Macclesfield 1, Tottenham Hotspur 3 Crystal Palace 0, Tranmere 1 Bolton Wanderers 1, Watford 2 Chelsea 2, Wigan 1 West Ham 2, Wimbledon 1 Stoke 1. 


Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3

Across The Star Online