KUALA LUMPUR: The 10 National Juniors, who were suspended for 12 months by the Malaysian Hockey Federations (MHF) disciplinary board on Sunday, can make a personal appeal on the reduction of their ban to the executive committee, who will meet on Nov 15.
The players need not go through their clubs or state affiliates to make the appeal.
Said MHF secretary S. Satgunam yesterday: The 10 players are allowed to make the appeal on their own as they were charged as national players. There is also nothing wrong for their clubs or state affiliates to appeal on their behalf. They need to file the appeal before the executive committee meet on Nov 15.
The 10 Juniors were punished for violating discipline during an invitational tournament in Poland in August and were each slapped with a 12-month suspension by the disciplinary board, chaired by Laksamana Madya Datuk Mohamed Anwar Mohamed Nor, on Sunday.
The 10 players skipper Engku Abdul Malek, Kelvinder Singh, Mohamed Firdaus, Tengku Ahmad Tajuddin, Mohamed Suffian, Mohamed Shahrun Nabil, Mohamed Sallehin, Mohamed Fakhrulradzi, Mohamed Radzi Rahim and S. Selvaraju had gone to a dancing hall without informing team officials on Aug 22.
With the 10 juniors banned for a year, Malaysia will have a weakened squad for the Asia Junior Cup in Karachi next April. The tournament is also a qualifying tournament for the 2005 Junior World Cup.
All the 10 banned players are not allowed to play in any hockey tournaments or be involved in the game at any level.
Satgunam said that it was the first time national players had been banned by the disciplinary board for indiscipline while on duty with the national team.
There is no precedence for this kind of punishment. But there are avenues for the players to take the case to the executive committee and we advise them to do so. It is entirely up to the players.
Previously, the longest ban meted out to a hockey player for indiscipline was six years. Royal Malay Regiment's Mohamed Shukor Hassan was found guilty of punching an umpire during a Malaysia Hockey League match last year, earning him a suspension from the game until 2008.